Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I went to Chilis .. I loved the soup.. but thought it was overpriced.. I found the recipe and made it myself

My wife invited me to Chilis the other day for dinner. .. First of all, I HATE French Fries, so, generally, Chilis is NOT on the radar..
However, after much resistance on my part, we went.
After perusing the menu and seeing only 1000+ Calorie Burgers and stuff that is NOT on my diet.. I saw that they had a variety of soups.. Anyway, I tried their Chicken and Green Chile soup.. Long story short.. GREAT soup.. small portion.. Overpriced.
So....
I went out on the web and found a copycat recipe and tried it.. It was delicious..
ngredients:

This recipe below makes 12 servings.. (I cut it in 1/2 and still had a lot of soup)

Ingredients
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

* 1 lb chicken breast fillet (approx. 3 fillets)

* 1/2 cup diced onion

* 1 garlic clove, pressed, to taste

* 4 cups chicken broth

* 1 cup masa harina

* 3 cups water

* 1 cup enchilada sauce

* 16 ounces Velveeta cheese

* 1 teaspoon salt, to taste

* 1 teaspoon chili powder

* 1/2 teaspoon cumin

Garnish

* shredded cheddar cheese

* crumbled corn tortilla chips


Pico de Gallo

* 2 medium tomatoes, diced

* 1/2 cup diced Spanish onion

* 2 teaspoons chopped fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and de-ribbed

* 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh cilantro

* 1 pinch salt
 
HOW TO MAKE
 
Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pot over medium heat.


Add chicken breasts to pot and brown for 4-5 minutes per side.

Set chicken aside.

Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to become translucent.

Add chicken broth.

Combine masa harina with 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until blended.

Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic and broth.

Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, cheese and spices to pot and bring mixture to a boil.

Shred the chicken into small, bite-size pieces and add it to the pot.

Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes or until thick.

Serve soup in cups or bowls, and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled corn tortilla chips, and pico de gallo.




No comments:

Post a Comment